Taking care of your smile involves partnering with a dental health professional to prevent cavities and dental decay. Your dentist also counts on you to take care of your smile every day at home. Brushing at least twice a day will help you prevent plaque build-up and bacterial infections. However, many patients don’t know how to brush the right way—they simply aren’t getting the most out of their daily oral hygiene routine.
Making the most of your daily brushing routine begins with picking the proper tools.
- Make sure that your toothbrush is small enough that it can reach comfortably to the back corners of your mouth.
- Don’t use firm, abrasive bristles—these can wear enamel down prematurely and irritate gum tissue.
Then pay attention to your brushing technique. Taking the time to assess your brushing habits may improve your dental health.
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Brush in small circular motions, making to sure to clean the top, front, and back of each tooth.
- Brush for at least two minutes.
- Remember to thoroughly brush your tongue and surrounding tissues to prevent bacteria buildup as well as bad breath.
Combine Proper Brushing with Professional Cleaning
The truth is that many adults begin to brush without thinking about their technique, or how they should be cleaning their teeth every day. Brushing becomes so routine that we stop doing it as effectively as we could. Take the time to implement these changes into your brushing routine to maximize you oral health and decrease your likelihood for dental decay. Combining effective at-home care with regular professional cleanings is the best way to maintain a healthy smile. Give our Boca Raton dentists a call if you have any questions about at-home dental hygiene, professional dental care, or if you’d like to schedule an appointment—(561) 997-2323.
2600 North Military Trail
Boca Raton, FL 33431